Sunday, January 8, 2012

More Bowman

Henry Bowman first appeared in Sacramento in 1852 and by the following year was established as Bowman and Burgess, at two locations, Nos 68 and 264 J Street. The next year Burgess was gone and Bowman compounded drugs at 105 J Street. Bowman moved to 73 J Street in 1855, and then again to 3rd and J in 1858. In 1862 he moved his drug store to 262 J Street, where he worked for the next 10 years.

Adjacent are two receipts of prescriptions from consecutive days filled and signed by Alex B. Nixon, a physician employed by Bowman. Also an ad for some of Bowman's products, including his Liniment, one of the products that his embossed bottles held.